Won`t tolerate PM candidate thrust upon us: Shiv Sena
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray today said that BJP-led NDA should declare its Prime Ministerial candidate only after consulting all the allies.
"We will not tolerate a candidate thrust upon us without discussions. We have not supported or opposed anybody," Uddhav said, speaking at a party meeting here this evening.
Uddhav also said that no leader, at the Centre or in the state, had "vision for the country". "Everyone just wants to be Prime Minister," he said.
At one point, Bal Thackeray, the late Sena supremo, had created a flutter by stating that Sushma Swaraj was the only BJP leader capable of handling the Prime Minister`s job, and conspicuously not mentioning Narendra Modi.
Uddhav today said that Shiv Sena will support a candidate who protects "Hindu interests". Referring to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s stand that the candidate must be secular, Uddhav said Kumar should clarify what he meant by secular.
"I am a supporter of peaceful coexistence of all religions. But appeasement of Muslims will not be tolerated," he said.
Taking on Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and his nephew and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Uddhav said Pawar senior was nursing the ambition to become Prime Minister while Ajit wanted to be the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
"Recently NCP held a meeting to prepare for the Lok Sabha elections. But they did not feel like discussing the drought in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list