Workers of Mazgaon Docks rescue building collapse victims
Mumbai: Workers of Mazgaon Docks who rescued civic workers staying in the ill-fated residential building said here on Friday, that it was their duty to do so on humanitarian grounds.
Mazgaon Docks workers reached the spot in less than fifteen minutes after it came crashing down around 5.55 am today before the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the fire brigade arrived.
The distance between the collapsed Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) residential building and Mazgaon Docks, is less than 150 metres.
"Around 200 workers rushed to the spot to rescue victims. They were able to save as many five lives initially. With the help of the NDRF and fire brigade, they saved over 20 people by pulling them out of the debris," Mazagaon Docks Chairman and Managing Director R K Shrawat said.
"We also provided lunch to around 1500 people, including relatives of the survivors, policemen and to other officials. We have decided to serve dinner tonight and lunch in the afternoon tomorrow," he said.
Mazgaon Docks would also provide lights for rescue operations at night, he said.
Meanwhile, the city mayor and senior Shiv Sena corporator Sunil Prabhu said that they would not spare officials responsible for the building collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly