Working to curb sexual crimes against women on trains: Patil
Mumbai: Alarmed by the spate of eve-teasing and molestation incidents involving women on local trains in the city, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Monday said Government Railway Police had started taking stringent action to curb such crimes.
"We are taking strict action against those who are found eve-teasing and molesting women commuters," Patil told reporters here.
"I am even ready to face the human rights commission if such anti-social elements raise allegations of violation of human rights over police`s treatment of them," he said.
Patil said GRP had so far arrested around 11 persons on charges of eve-teasing and molestation.
There has been a recent spurt in cases of sexual crimes against women on local trains, the lifeline of Mumbai.
In July, a man got in to the ladies compartment of a western line local train and attempted to rape a nurse who was travelling alone in the unguarded coach.
Also, a US national was slashed in the first class compartment by a man after she refused to part with her smartphone.
"We are sensitively dealing with such cases and have been receiving a good response," Patil added.
He said around 110 Home Guards had been deputed to assist the GRP in keeping tabs on such incidents.
Patil said the scenario was changing in the state with women now coming forward to register complaints over sexual crimes, unlike in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack