Would ask Centre for more drought relief funds: Pawar
Jalna: Terming the drought situation in Maharashtra as "grim”, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said he would recommend the Centre to release more funds for the state to tackle the problem.
"The situation is grim and an important decision regarding the future mode of action would be taken soon in New Delhi by the Drought Eradication Committee (headed by Pawar)," the Union Minister said while addressing people during a visit to drought hit villages here yesterday.
Fodder camps would be set in the drought hit areas and the government would increase the wages given to the EGS workers, he said.
"I have never seen such a serious situation," Pawar later told reporters at the collectorate here last night and said that he would recommend the Union government to release more funds to the state, as well as food grains to the BPL and AGL families.
The state government should send proposals to the Centre to tackle drought, Pawar said, adding that he would take necessary steps in this regard.
Replying to a question on the allegations by certain Opposition leaders that he thinks only of western Maharashtra, Pawar said, "I am the Agriculture Minister of the whole country, not of Beed or western Maharashtra. I have to go to western Maharashtra because my home is there."
Earlier, Pawar visited the drought hit villages of the district where he addressed the people saying the Opposition parties should not politicise the grim drought situation in the state. Rather, they should work hand-in-hand with the state government to fight the problem.
State ministers Rajesh Tope, Jaydutt Kshirsagar and Madhukar Pichad were also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed