Youth commits suicide in police custody in Maha
Satara: A 21-year-old youth, who was held on charges of damaging a state-owned bus, allegedly committed suicide in police custody in the district on Tuesday.
Pilya alias Sunil Kabulya Shinde, a resident of Watharnimbalkar village in Phaltan taluka in the district, was detained by Khandala police on April 6 for allegedly damaging the state transport bus and was later sent to a day`s police custody, police said.
However, Shinde was found hanging from a water supply pipe in the wee hours today, they said.
He was also accused in a number of other crimes committed at several places in the state. When his relatives came to know about the death, they held protests outside the police station, but the situation was soon brought under control, they said.
According to a senior police officer, three policemen have been suspended and the probe into the alleged suicide has been handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter