Youth commits suicide in police custody in Maha
Satara: A 21-year-old youth, who was held on charges of damaging a state-owned bus, allegedly committed suicide in police custody in the district on Tuesday.
Pilya alias Sunil Kabulya Shinde, a resident of Watharnimbalkar village in Phaltan taluka in the district, was detained by Khandala police on April 6 for allegedly damaging the state transport bus and was later sent to a day`s police custody, police said.
However, Shinde was found hanging from a water supply pipe in the wee hours today, they said.
He was also accused in a number of other crimes committed at several places in the state. When his relatives came to know about the death, they held protests outside the police station, but the situation was soon brought under control, they said.
According to a senior police officer, three policemen have been suspended and the probe into the alleged suicide has been handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened