Youth commits suicide in police custody in Maha
Satara: A 21-year-old youth, who was held on charges of damaging a state-owned bus, allegedly committed suicide in police custody in the district on Tuesday.
Pilya alias Sunil Kabulya Shinde, a resident of Watharnimbalkar village in Phaltan taluka in the district, was detained by Khandala police on April 6 for allegedly damaging the state transport bus and was later sent to a day`s police custody, police said.
However, Shinde was found hanging from a water supply pipe in the wee hours today, they said.
He was also accused in a number of other crimes committed at several places in the state. When his relatives came to know about the death, they held protests outside the police station, but the situation was soon brought under control, they said.
According to a senior police officer, three policemen have been suspended and the probe into the alleged suicide has been handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed