Youth held for raping girlfriend in Mumbai
Mumbai: A 25-year-old youth from Uttar Pradesh was arrested for allegedly raping his girlfriend whom he had eloped with one month back, police said on Tuesday.
The Social Services Branch (SSB) of Mumbai Police on Monday raided the flat of accused Manish Singh in suburban Oshiwara and rescued the 19-year-old girl, they said.
Singh was booked on charges of rape and kidnapping, police said.
According to police, the girl, a BA student, eloped with Manish around a month back from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh and started living in Mumbai.
The duo ran away after their parents opposed their alliance as they belonged to different castes, police said.
After the girl went missing, her family filed a missing person`s complaint with Sultanpur police.
However, the couple soon developed differences with Singh allegedly neglecting her and giving her little to eat. Singh would also assault her and during the span of one-month entered into physical relationship with her, police said.
Unable to bear the suffering, the girl somehow contacted her parents who in turn informed Sultanpur police who alerted their Mumbai counterparts.
The victim was sent to the women`s shelter home after she was rescued from the flat, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand