Youth held for raping girlfriend in Mumbai
Mumbai: A 25-year-old youth from Uttar Pradesh was arrested for allegedly raping his girlfriend whom he had eloped with one month back, police said on Tuesday.
The Social Services Branch (SSB) of Mumbai Police on Monday raided the flat of accused Manish Singh in suburban Oshiwara and rescued the 19-year-old girl, they said.
Singh was booked on charges of rape and kidnapping, police said.
According to police, the girl, a BA student, eloped with Manish around a month back from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh and started living in Mumbai.
The duo ran away after their parents opposed their alliance as they belonged to different castes, police said.
After the girl went missing, her family filed a missing person`s complaint with Sultanpur police.
However, the couple soon developed differences with Singh allegedly neglecting her and giving her little to eat. Singh would also assault her and during the span of one-month entered into physical relationship with her, police said.
Unable to bear the suffering, the girl somehow contacted her parents who in turn informed Sultanpur police who alerted their Mumbai counterparts.
The victim was sent to the women`s shelter home after she was rescued from the flat, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Money laundering: Chhagan, Sameer Bhujbal's judicial custody extended till June 7
- Posting babies' photos on Facebook put moms at depression risk
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro