Youth held for raping girlfriend in Mumbai
Mumbai: A 25-year-old youth from Uttar Pradesh was arrested for allegedly raping his girlfriend whom he had eloped with one month back, police said on Tuesday.
The Social Services Branch (SSB) of Mumbai Police on Monday raided the flat of accused Manish Singh in suburban Oshiwara and rescued the 19-year-old girl, they said.
Singh was booked on charges of rape and kidnapping, police said.
According to police, the girl, a BA student, eloped with Manish around a month back from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh and started living in Mumbai.
The duo ran away after their parents opposed their alliance as they belonged to different castes, police said.
After the girl went missing, her family filed a missing person`s complaint with Sultanpur police.
However, the couple soon developed differences with Singh allegedly neglecting her and giving her little to eat. Singh would also assault her and during the span of one-month entered into physical relationship with her, police said.
Unable to bear the suffering, the girl somehow contacted her parents who in turn informed Sultanpur police who alerted their Mumbai counterparts.
The victim was sent to the women`s shelter home after she was rescued from the flat, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees