Youth mows down elderly man, injures two cops
Mumbai: A 74-year-old man, founder of a steel trading company, was Wednesday knocked to death and two police constables were injured after they were hit by a speeding car driven by a college student, who was on a joyride in south Mumbai without a driving license, police said.
Sampath Maroo, founder of Maroo Steels which is into import and export of iron and steel, was mowed down by a Honda City car being driven by a 17-year-old boy near Samrat hotel in Marine Drive area, police said, adding the teenager was heading towards K C College with his friend Darshan Jain in the car.
According to police, the standard XII commerce student from Jai Hind College was driving the vehicle at 80 kmph and lost control of it before hitting Maroo, who was on a morning walk.
Maroo, a resident of Ravindra Annex building in the area, was waiting to cross the road, when the driver lost control of the car and hit him, police said.
Maroo fell on the bonnet of the car, which took him a few meters, after which he was tossed in the air, police said.
The panic-stricken student suddenly pressed the accelerator instead of the brake, hitting two other stationery vehicles and then two constables identified as Yogesh Nijai (29) and Anish Keni (41), who were on their way to attend duty.
The accused, son of a businessman residing in Tardeo area of south Mumbai, had no driving license and left in the car for a joyride, as his parents were not at home.
"Their parents did not know he took away the car. They would have never allowed him to drive the car, as does not have a driving licence," said a police officer at Marine Drive police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch