Youth reunited with his mother, 26 years after he went missing
Thane: A doubt which kept nagging police inspector Srikanth Sonde, prompting him to probe further, led to a 29-year-old Rapid Action Force cop, who was brought up as an `orphan`, being reunited with his parents, from whom he got separated 26 years ago, the police said here today.
Six-year-old Ganesh Dhangde set out with his neighbours in Thane for a fair and went missing at Thane railway station 26 years ago.
His family members searched him and later gave up hopes of getting him back.
The six-year-old Dhangde ended up in a Worli orphanage and taken care of by a warden, before being shifted to Krida Prabhodini, where he completed his education.
After his education and winning a number of awards for sports, he was selected for a job in the Thane police force and posted to the Rapid Action Force in July 2013.
When his superior officers enquired about his family, he told them that he was an `orphan`.
However, something about his reply deeply disturbed inspector Srikanth Sonde and some other officers who undertook the task of tracing his roots and this led them to the Worli orphanage where Dhangde had lived.
Later, they came to know that Dhangde had lived near the Mama-Bacha hills locality in the city, 26 years ago.
An additional clue available to them was his mother`s name `Manda` inscribed on his arm, which led them to locate the house of the woman, who admitted to the police officers, that her son had indeed gone missing 26 years ago.
Dhangde was thus reunited with his mother, 26 years after he went missing as a six-year-old lad, thanks to the tireless efforts of inspector Srikanth Sonde, who spent several sleepless nights, solving the puzzle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre