Youth reunited with his mother, 26 years after he went missing
Thane: A doubt which kept nagging police inspector Srikanth Sonde, prompting him to probe further, led to a 29-year-old Rapid Action Force cop, who was brought up as an `orphan`, being reunited with his parents, from whom he got separated 26 years ago, the police said here today.
Six-year-old Ganesh Dhangde set out with his neighbours in Thane for a fair and went missing at Thane railway station 26 years ago.
His family members searched him and later gave up hopes of getting him back.
The six-year-old Dhangde ended up in a Worli orphanage and taken care of by a warden, before being shifted to Krida Prabhodini, where he completed his education.
After his education and winning a number of awards for sports, he was selected for a job in the Thane police force and posted to the Rapid Action Force in July 2013.
When his superior officers enquired about his family, he told them that he was an `orphan`.
However, something about his reply deeply disturbed inspector Srikanth Sonde and some other officers who undertook the task of tracing his roots and this led them to the Worli orphanage where Dhangde had lived.
Later, they came to know that Dhangde had lived near the Mama-Bacha hills locality in the city, 26 years ago.
An additional clue available to them was his mother`s name `Manda` inscribed on his arm, which led them to locate the house of the woman, who admitted to the police officers, that her son had indeed gone missing 26 years ago.
Dhangde was thus reunited with his mother, 26 years after he went missing as a six-year-old lad, thanks to the tireless efforts of inspector Srikanth Sonde, who spent several sleepless nights, solving the puzzle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees