Youth who raped & murdered Noida designer, held in Navi Mumbai
Navi Mumbai: A 26-year-old unemployed man, who had been on the run after he allegedly raped and murdered his estranged fashion designer girlfriend in Uttar Pradesh`s Noida city, has been arrested from Panvel here, police said on Tuesday.
Acting on a tip-off, Shaibaj Mehmood Deshmukh, who was absconding since August 27 in connection with the rape and murder of Lubna Mehmood Siddiqui (29), was arrested from outside Panvel railway station yesterday, Panvel Police station Senior Inspector Datta Patil said.
According to police, Deshmukh had befriended the victim through a social networking site and maintained physical relationship with her.
"The accused told her that he was working on a good position in a reputed hotel in Dubai. However, when the woman learnt that he was jobless, she began avoiding him. He was scared that she would make a rape complaint.
"The accused then asked her to meet him and when they met, he raped her at `A 11` guest house in Noida and later smothered her to death," the officer added.
According to police, in April, Deshmukh had befriended the victim on Facebook and exchanged mobile numbers. He went to Noida in April and June, police said adding that during his second visit, the accused maintained sexual relationship with the victim.
The accused promised to marry her and also spoke to her parents. However, when she spoke to Deshmukh`s brother, she learnt that he was unemployed and had also undergone a heart surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars