Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha seeks statehood for region
Akola: Amaravati Zilla Parishad, a district body in Maharashtra, has unanimously passed a resolution seeking creation of a separate state of Vidarbha.
This is for the first time that a Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha has passed such a resolution. The resolution was passed at the meeting of standing council of Zilla Parishad at Chikhaldara yesterday, sources said.
Pratap Abhyankar, one of the members, moved the resolution whereas Surekha Thakre, Zilla Parishad president, seconded it. Speakers at the meeting said that farmers` suicides in Vidarbha can be prevented if a separate state, which can utilise the natural resources in the region well, comes into being.
The demand for Vidarbha state has been rekindled in the wake of the recent decision by Congress to accede to the Telangana state demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand