Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha seeks statehood for region
Akola: Amaravati Zilla Parishad, a district body in Maharashtra, has unanimously passed a resolution seeking creation of a separate state of Vidarbha.
This is for the first time that a Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha has passed such a resolution. The resolution was passed at the meeting of standing council of Zilla Parishad at Chikhaldara yesterday, sources said.
Pratap Abhyankar, one of the members, moved the resolution whereas Surekha Thakre, Zilla Parishad president, seconded it. Speakers at the meeting said that farmers` suicides in Vidarbha can be prevented if a separate state, which can utilise the natural resources in the region well, comes into being.
The demand for Vidarbha state has been rekindled in the wake of the recent decision by Congress to accede to the Telangana state demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why