Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha seeks statehood for region
Akola: Amaravati Zilla Parishad, a district body in Maharashtra, has unanimously passed a resolution seeking creation of a separate state of Vidarbha.
This is for the first time that a Zilla Parishad in Vidarbha has passed such a resolution. The resolution was passed at the meeting of standing council of Zilla Parishad at Chikhaldara yesterday, sources said.
Pratap Abhyankar, one of the members, moved the resolution whereas Surekha Thakre, Zilla Parishad president, seconded it. Speakers at the meeting said that farmers` suicides in Vidarbha can be prevented if a separate state, which can utilise the natural resources in the region well, comes into being.
The demand for Vidarbha state has been rekindled in the wake of the recent decision by Congress to accede to the Telangana state demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi