Heidfeld stays upbeat on F1 future
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 18:38
  
Valencia: German driver Nick Heidfeld remains confident of continuing in Formula One despite the withdrawal of BMW at the end of the season.

Heidfeld, 32, told reporters that he had already been in talks with other teams before BMW's decision, although the announcement at the end of last month took him by surprise.

With seven races left of the season with BMW Sauber - beginning with Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia - Heidfeld admitted he was now in the shop window in seeking a new contract elsewhere.

"My Formula One experience helps me, of course. After 10 years I have a great deal of knowledge and technical know-how," he said.

"Apart from the fact that I have beaten top drivers such as (Kimi) Raikkonen, (Felipe) Massa or (Mark) Webber as team colleagues, it is now important to put in good performances in the next races."

"In Formula One every Grand Prix is a job application. It has been difficult to show what I can do in a car which has so far been inferior this season. But I am still highly motivated to get the very best out of every situation."

Heidfeld has managed one podium finish and a total of six point from the meagre eight garnered by BMW Sauber this year.

The team is only eighth in the constructors' standings, led by Brawn (114 points) and followed by Renault (98.5), while Heidfeld is 13th in the drivers' championship, led by Brawn's Jenson Button on 70 points ahead of Webber (51.5) in a Red Bull.

Despite the uncertain future, BMW motorsport chief Mario Theissen said he was optimistic both Heidfeld and Polish team-mate Robert Kubica would find new drives.

"Robert and Nick are fast, ambitious and experienced. They will strengthen any team and will be at the start next season," he told.

IANS


First Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 18:38


comments powered by Disqus