Women re-enter Haji Ali shrine's sanctum sanctorum after 5 years
Mumbai: In a big victory in the fight to ensure gender equality, a group of women on Tuesday entered the sanctum sanctorum of Mumbai's famous Haji Ali dargah after five years.
A group of 75-80 women led by Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan (BMMA) co-founder Noorjehan S Niaz entered the dargah, located on the rocks off Worli in the Arabian Sea, at around 3 pm.
The women offered floral tributes, `chadars` and prayed for peace at the Dargah.
Till June 2012, women were allowed entry up to the sanctum sanctorum comprising the grave (mazaar) of revered Muslim saint, Sayyed Peer Haji Ali Shah Bukhari, but suddenly it was stopped by the Dargah's trustees.
In 2014, the BMMA and others challenged the move of the Haji Ali Dargah Trust in the courts.
On August 26, Justice VM Kanade and Justice Revathi Mohite-Dhere had ruled in favour of the petitioners and directed the trust to allow equal access to women, which the trust challenged in the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court on October 24 delivered its verdict on grounds of equal access to men and women, even as the trust expressed readiness to allow women inside till the sanctum sanctorum.
The Trust authorities then sought four weeks time to make certain infrastructural changes and alterations to accommodate the women devotees.
The Dargah authorities have created separate entries to the shrine for men and women and imposed restrictions to prevent anyone from touching the peer`s tomb.
Under the new arrangements, all devotees would wait and pray nearly two metres away from the tomb with rights of equal access to all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened