0ver 200 CRPF, BSF personnel have committed suicide since 2007
New Delhi: More than 200 BSF and CRPF
personnel have committed suicide owing to reasons like
depression, marital discord and financial issues in the last
four years, government said on Wednesday.
The data provided by the government gave out the
figures for the two largest paramilitary forces--CRPF and
BSF-- since 2007. The CRPF had the larger number of suicides
at 143 while the BSF had 75.
The total number of suicides stood at 218 during the
period for both the forces involved largely in anti-naxal,
counter-insurgency, border guarding and law and order duties.
"Some CRPF and BSF personnel have committed suicide by
their own weapons...The common reasons for committing suicide
are domestic and personal problems, depression, marital
discord, financial issues," Minister of State for Home Affairs
Ajay Maken told Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
He said various steps have been taken by the
government to prevent such cases, which included "timely leave
to personnel, provision of seperate family accomodation,
development of infrastructure for improving the living
conditions, extension of communication facilities to all
border outposts for telephonic conversation with family.
"Regular and informal interactions of senior officers
with the men, introduction of air couriers services for CRPF
and BSF personnel among others," he said.
While the CRPF strength comprises almost three lakh
personnel, the BSF has about 2.3 lakh personnel in its ranks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi