1 crore offered for 17 Indians in Dubai death row
Dubai: Blood money to the tune of Rs 1
crore was offered in a Dubai court on Thursday to save the 17
Indians on death row for murdering a Pakistani following which
the case has been adjourned till June 16.
Local businessman, S P Singh Oberoi, who is founder
president of Indian Punjabi Society, told a news agency that he made the
offer of Rs 1 crore in Pakistani currency, in the presence of
the judges, Indian convicts and the media.
On March 28, 2010, the Sharjah Court of First
Instance pronounced the death sentence on 17 Indians who were
accused of killing a Pakistani national in January 2009.
The Government of India hired a law firm Mohammad
Salman Advocates and Legal Consultants to defend the accused.
Today`s hearing was the 13th in the case.
"When the attorney (Ramzan) representing the victim
(Misri Nazir Khan) refused to acknowledge that we have made an
offer before today`s hearing, I offered a sum of 1 crore
Pakistani rupees (over USD 120,000) to settle the matter,"
According to him, individuals from Indian and
Pakistani consulates in Dubai and members of the media were
present in the court when the offer was made.
Bindu Suresh Chettur, one of the lawyers representing
the case confirmed that the offer was made.
"We wanted to convince the court that we are abiding
by the procedures and are pursuing the matter with Ramzan.
Now they have to decide before June 16 whether they are
accepting this offer," she said.
A statement from Indian consulate in Dubai said that
safeguarding the interests of the 17 accused remains the
paramount concern of the Government of India.
"We are also fully cognizant of the options
available to the accused within UAE`s system of jurisprudence.
A section of the Indian community is following this
case with a keen interest and is in touch with the Consulate
in anticipation of an early resolution of this case.
The defence lawyers will continue defending the
Indian nationals in Court, pending any mutually acceptable
understanding with the family of the deceased and acceptable
to the Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read