10 Indians arrested in UK for immigration offences
London: At least 10 Indians were arrested on Friday by British authorities following a dawn raid targeting suspected illegal workers at a Leicester factory.
About 20 border agency officials and police officers were involved in the operation at Spring Shades Ltd in Friday Street.
They sealed off the exits, launching their raid to coincide with the factory`s shift swap.
And at the end of the three-hour operation, a total of eight workers out of 40 at the factory had been arrested, The Leicester Mercury reported.
Following, the initial raid, officers carried out searches at two homes in Leicester, where two more people were arrested on suspicion of immigration offences.
Alison Spowage, assistant director for immigration enforcement in the East Midlands, said: "This was a large scale operation targeting suspected illegal working in Leicester."
"Employers who flout the law will not be tolerated. Illegal working is unfair on honest employers and takes jobs away from those with a legal right to work."
All 10 of the men arrested were between the ages 20 and 54.
As well being suspected of working illegally in the UK, four of the 10 arrested yesterday were also being questioned on suspicion of possessing false documents.
If the eight people arrested at the factory are found to be illegal workers, then the firm`s owners could face a fine of 80,000 pounds, unless they can prove that they made every effort to check the employees` immigration status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof