10 yrs jail, 10L fine suggested for acid attackers
New Delhi: Throwing acid on women may soon attract a 10-year jail term and a fine up to Rs 10 lakh, while having sex with a girl less than 18 years of age may be considered rape and a criminal offence punishable with seven years imprisonment.
A high-level committee, headed by Home Secretary GK Pillai, is expected to submit these recommendations among others to the government next week for incorporation in the Indian Panel Code after amendments in Parliament.
The panel is set to recommend framing of separate clauses in the IPC - 326 (A) and (B) -to be added to the law to deal with the offence of acid attack. At present, cases of the
gruesome crime, mostly involving young girls who are generally targeted by spurned lovers, are dealt under Section 326 of the IPC, sources said.
The committee is suggesting that minimum punishment for accused in acid-throwing cases should be 10 years imprisonment and fine up to Rs 10 lakh. The fine amount should be given to the victim of the acid attack, it suggests.
The panel, which was set up by Home Minister P Chidambaram, also plans to recommend that sex with a girl less than 18 years of age, even if consensual and she is a wife, be made a criminal offence punishable with seven years in jail and considered a rape.
The committee further plans to recommend that marrying of girls below 18 years be made a crime where the police can take suo motu cognisance.
"The recommendations are expected to be submitted next week after all members of the panel sign it," a member of the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video