10 yrs jail, 10L fine suggested for acid attackers
New Delhi: Throwing acid on women may soon attract a 10-year jail term and a fine up to Rs 10 lakh, while having sex with a girl less than 18 years of age may be considered rape and a criminal offence punishable with seven years imprisonment.
A high-level committee, headed by Home Secretary GK Pillai, is expected to submit these recommendations among others to the government next week for incorporation in the Indian Panel Code after amendments in Parliament.
The panel is set to recommend framing of separate clauses in the IPC - 326 (A) and (B) -to be added to the law to deal with the offence of acid attack. At present, cases of the
gruesome crime, mostly involving young girls who are generally targeted by spurned lovers, are dealt under Section 326 of the IPC, sources said.
The committee is suggesting that minimum punishment for accused in acid-throwing cases should be 10 years imprisonment and fine up to Rs 10 lakh. The fine amount should be given to the victim of the acid attack, it suggests.
The panel, which was set up by Home Minister P Chidambaram, also plans to recommend that sex with a girl less than 18 years of age, even if consensual and she is a wife, be made a criminal offence punishable with seven years in jail and considered a rape.
The committee further plans to recommend that marrying of girls below 18 years be made a crime where the police can take suo motu cognisance.
"The recommendations are expected to be submitted next week after all members of the panel sign it," a member of the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali