11 mercy petitions pending before President
New Delhi: As many as 11 mercy petitions of death convicts are pending before President Pranab Mukherjee, an RTI reply has stated.
The figures show only the file of Balwant Singh Rajoana, killer of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, is with the Home Ministry while 11 cases including that of Parliament attack accused Afzal Guru are with Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The reply provided to activist Subhash Agrawal shows that Home Ministry had recalled 26 mercy petition from Rashtrapati Bhavan during 2009-12 to review its advice.
It shows after the files were resubmitted, the then President Pratibha Patil had decided on 18 cases. The remaining eight cases are still with the President`s office.
The reply shows three mercy petitions, including that of Afzal, have been submitted before the President for decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH