11 mercy petitions pending before President
New Delhi: As many as 11 mercy petitions of death convicts are pending before President Pranab Mukherjee, an RTI reply has stated.
The figures show only the file of Balwant Singh Rajoana, killer of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, is with the Home Ministry while 11 cases including that of Parliament attack accused Afzal Guru are with Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The reply provided to activist Subhash Agrawal shows that Home Ministry had recalled 26 mercy petition from Rashtrapati Bhavan during 2009-12 to review its advice.
It shows after the files were resubmitted, the then President Pratibha Patil had decided on 18 cases. The remaining eight cases are still with the President`s office.
The reply shows three mercy petitions, including that of Afzal, have been submitted before the President for decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead