1.2 lakh paramilitary personnel to be deployed for LS polls
New Delhi: More than 1.20 lakh central paramilitary personnel, in addition to state police forces, are expected to be deployed for the multi-phased Lok Sabha polls which are likely to be held in April-May, 2014.
Home Ministry has told Election Commission that the required number of paramilitary personnel would be provided to ensure peaceful polling in the General Elections, which is expected to be held over five or six phases.
Official sources said that Home Ministry has started preparing for the massive exercise of mobilising 1.2 lakh personnel from different paramilitary forces.
As per the plan, the forces will have to be shifted from one state to another upon completion of polling in a particular phase.
Home Ministry takes the help of Railways in transporting the forces and around 70 trains were hired by it for the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Central paramilitary personnel will assist state police forces in ensuring order in the run up to voting, on the polling day and for keeping the Electronic Voting Machines in safe custody till the counting of ballots.
Sources said that those paramilitary personnel who are deployed in anti-Naxal operations and in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeastern states would not be disturbed, although some "thinning out" of the forces in the three areas may occur.
Along with Lok Sabha polls, Assembly elections are to be held in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Sikkim.
There are around 800 million voters in the country and the total number of polling stations would be around 8 lakh.
There were 714 million voters in the country at the time of the 2009 polls while the number for the 2004 parliamentary elections was 671 million.
The term of the current Lok Sabha expires on June 1 and the new House has to be constituted by May 31.
The chief electoral officers of the various states are holding separate meetings with the DGPs for availability of state police for the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre