12 sentenced to 5 years in Kandhamal communal riots
Phulbani: Twelve people were
convicted and sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for five
years while 75 others acquitted today in three separate cases
relating to the communal riot in Kandhamal.
The three cases were disposed by two fast track courts
While judge S K Das sentenced 12 people to five years
rigorous imprisonment and penalty of Rs 3,000 each for their
involvement in house burning incidents at Chatijhara
village under Tikabali police station, five others were
acquitted due to lack of evidence.
In another case involving burning of a church at
Sasalanda village under Phulbani Sadar Police Station, judge
Das acquitted all the 64 persons due to lack of evidence.
The other court acquitted six persons allegedly
involved in a house burning incident at Drakinga village under
G Udaygiri police station area. The prosecution failed to
arrange evidence against them.
All the cases were registered at three different
police stations during the Kandhamal riot in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok