12 sentenced to 5 years in Kandhamal communal riots
Phulbani: Twelve people were
convicted and sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for five
years while 75 others acquitted today in three separate cases
relating to the communal riot in Kandhamal.
The three cases were disposed by two fast track courts
While judge S K Das sentenced 12 people to five years
rigorous imprisonment and penalty of Rs 3,000 each for their
involvement in house burning incidents at Chatijhara
village under Tikabali police station, five others were
acquitted due to lack of evidence.
In another case involving burning of a church at
Sasalanda village under Phulbani Sadar Police Station, judge
Das acquitted all the 64 persons due to lack of evidence.
The other court acquitted six persons allegedly
involved in a house burning incident at Drakinga village under
G Udaygiri police station area. The prosecution failed to
arrange evidence against them.
All the cases were registered at three different
police stations during the Kandhamal riot in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!