‘12,326 acres defence land under encroachment’
New Delhi: "A total of 12,326 acres of defence land is under encroachment...862 cases pertaining to encroachment are pending in different courts," Defence Minister AK Antony said on Monday in reply to a Lok Sabha query.
With more than 17 lakh acres land under them, the defence
forces are one of the largest owners of land in the country.
As per the state-wise data, 3,080 acres land is under
encroachment in Uttar Pradesh followed by 1,491 acres in
The Defence Minister said the Directorate General of
Defence Estates (DGDE) has initiated a programme for
computerisation of defence land registration.
"Two projects -- one on digitisation of land records
involving scanning, indexing and the other on the survey of
land -- have been sanctioned recently to be completed in a
time bound manner," he said.
In reply to another query, the Defence Ministry said it
was considering a proposal to bring Short Service Commission
(SSC) officers under ex-servicemen contributory health scheme
to attract more youths to join the forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy