129 Army men punished for HR violations: Antony
New Delhi: The Army has so far punished 129 of its personnel, including 38 officers, with imprisonment and dismissal from service for violations of human rights, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Defence Minister A K Antony, in reply to questions from
members, said the Army took suitable disciplinary action
against its personnel found guilty of violating human rights.
"The Army has taken suitable disciplinary action against
its personnel for violation of human rights. (A total of) 38
officers, 12 Junior Commissioned Officers and 79 other ranks
found guilty of violations have been awarded various
punishments including rigorous imprisonment, termination or
dismissal from service," he said.
To another query, Antony said the armed forces had lost
515 personnel from Maharashtra in the last five years till
October 31, 2010. These personnel were killed on duty.
There were 511 soldiers from the Army killed on duty,
while the Navy lost one of its sailors and the Air Force three
He said the Kendriya Sainik Board, Rajya Sainik Board and
Zilla Sainik Boards, apart from units, local formations, record office and Colonels of the respective regiments, periodically interacted with the families of defence personnel killed in operations.
The ex-gratia lump sum compensation of Rs 10 lakh was
paid to families of soldiers, who died due to accidents in the
course of duties or death on duty attributable to acts of
violence by terrorists.
Rs 15 lakh was paid for death occurring during enemy
action in war or border skirmishes or in action against
militants and terrorists.
A similar compensation was paid for death while on duty
in specified high altitude, inaccessible border posts due to
natural disasters and extreme weather conditions.
The families of soldiers, who die during enemy action in
international war or war-like engagement, specifically
notified, were paid Rs 20 lakh ex-gratia.
In addition to these, Rs 5 lakh is being paid by the
state government of Maharashtra, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister