1.29 L cases of crime against children, 88836 of rape in 3 years
New Delhi: Altogether 1,29,448 cases of crime against children and 88,836 cases of rape have been registered across the country in the last three years with the highest being in 2013.
"As per data available, the total number of cases registered on account of crime against children for the year 2011, 2012 and 2013 are 33,052 cases, 38,172 cases and 58,224 cases respectively," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha today.
The Minister said a total of 88,836 cases of rape were reported across the country in last three years.
"As per data regarding the reporting of the offence of rape, as provided by the National Crime Records Bureau, a total of 24,206 cases, 24,923 cases and 33,707 cases were registered in the country during 2011, 2012 and 2013 respectively," he said.
The Minister said the Criminal Law (amendment) Act 2013 has come into force since February 3, 2013 and in this Act there are provisions which provides for comprehensive measures to counter the menace of human trafficking including trafficking of children for exploitation in any form including physical exploitation or any form of sexual exploitation, slavery, servitude or the forced removal of organs.
Rijiu said as per the data on rape cases, it is evident that there is a considerable rise in the number of cases registered during 2013 which can be attributed to the enactment of Criminal Law (amendment) Act 2013 in which non-registration of crimes against women by police was made a punishable offence under section 166A of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Ind vs WI: Day 5 washed out, Virat Kohli & co win series 2-0 but lose top ranking
- John Kerry urges deployment of South Sudan protection force
- BSF troops deployed in J&K after 12 years
- Authorities initiate action to evict Payal Abdullah from J&K govt bungalow in Delhi
- Assam tribal bodies against grant of ST status to 6 communities