13 killed as storm hits Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: As many as 13 people were killed and several injured in a storm that hit eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh late Sunday, officials said.
The storm killed people in Sonebhadra, Mirzapur and Bhadohi where many hutments collapsed and tin sheds were blown away in the wind. Over a dozen people were injured.
Officials said a large number of cattle were killed in Chapka, Sohadwal, Nakpur and Doriya villages of Sonebhadra district.
The dead include three youth, who were killed when lightning struck them at Siddharthanagar. One person each were killed in Maharajganj, Sant Kabeernagar and Gorakhpur.
The details of the dead in other places was not immediately known.
Officials said rescue and relief operations have been set in motion. At many places uprooted trees blocked major roads and they were being sawed off to clear the way for traffic.
Mango harvest has also been destroyed at many places.
The regional met office told IANS that dust storms and lightning with some rains could occur at many places in the state.
Showers late Sunday brought down temperatures in some places, but the unrelenting heat is likely to continue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY