13/7 accused underwent training in Pak: ATS
Mumbai: Haroon Naik, arrested in connection
with the 13/7 serial blasts here, had undergone training with
Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal in Pakistan and sent
Rs 10 lakh to him last March to carry out the bombings that
killed over 25 people.
Naik was today produced before a magistrate and was
remanded in the custody of Maharashtra ATS till February 10
for his alleged involvement in the conspiracy of carrying out
According to the remand note submitted by ATS to the
court seeking the accused`s custody, Naik had gone to Pakistan
in 2005 via Nepal and met Bhatkal there.
"The duo underwent training in explosives and weapons
there. In March 2011, Naik sent Rs 10 lakh through Hawala from
Saudi Arabia to co-accused Kanwar Nain Wazeer Chand Patrija
(also arrested in the case) to be handed over to Bhatkal," the
According to the investigating agency, the amount was
used by Bhatkal to carry out the blasts on July 13, 2011 at
three locations - Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House in south
Mumbai and at Dadar in central Mumbai.
The agency sought Naik`s custody to find out if he had
sent money to IM operatives before March 2011.
"It also needs to be ascertained under whose instructions
Naik is operating and had sent the money. We need to
interrogate him (Naik) to find out who is his financer," the
Naik has been shown as an arrested accused in the Opera
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata