13/7 accused underwent training in Pak: ATS
Mumbai: Haroon Naik, arrested in connection
with the 13/7 serial blasts here, had undergone training with
Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal in Pakistan and sent
Rs 10 lakh to him last March to carry out the bombings that
killed over 25 people.
Naik was today produced before a magistrate and was
remanded in the custody of Maharashtra ATS till February 10
for his alleged involvement in the conspiracy of carrying out
According to the remand note submitted by ATS to the
court seeking the accused`s custody, Naik had gone to Pakistan
in 2005 via Nepal and met Bhatkal there.
"The duo underwent training in explosives and weapons
there. In March 2011, Naik sent Rs 10 lakh through Hawala from
Saudi Arabia to co-accused Kanwar Nain Wazeer Chand Patrija
(also arrested in the case) to be handed over to Bhatkal," the
According to the investigating agency, the amount was
used by Bhatkal to carry out the blasts on July 13, 2011 at
three locations - Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House in south
Mumbai and at Dadar in central Mumbai.
The agency sought Naik`s custody to find out if he had
sent money to IM operatives before March 2011.
"It also needs to be ascertained under whose instructions
Naik is operating and had sent the money. We need to
interrogate him (Naik) to find out who is his financer," the
Naik has been shown as an arrested accused in the Opera
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH