1,300 govt officials penalised by CVC last year for graft
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) had recommended punishment to over 1,300 officials working with various central government departments for their alleged involvement in corruption.
Of the total 1,317 officials penalised last year, 544 were recommended for major penalty, 220 for minor penalty, 448 for administrative action, warning, caution, etc., while criminal proceedings were advised against 105 corrupt government servants, Minister of State for Personnel, Public grievances and Pensions V Nayarayansamy told the Lok Sabha today in a written reply.
As per existing practise CVC is consulted at two stages - for the first stage advice as to whether evidence collected during the preliminary inquiry merits either a major or a minor penalty in Disciplinary proceedings.
After conclusion of the inquiry, the case records are again referred to the CVC for the second stage advice on the basis of charges held to be partly or fully proved or not proved, except in those cases where consultation with the Union Public Service Commission is required.
"During the year 2010 and 2011, the Commission has tendered its first stage advice on 3,424 and 3,144 cases, respectively," the minister said.
Further, after completion of proceedings, the Commission tenders advice on the nature of penalties or otherwise on references received from the organisations. Such advices are termed as second stage advice. "During the year 2010 and 2011, the Commission has tendered its second stage advice in 1,180 and 1,027 cases respectively," Narayanasamy said.
In reply to another question, the Minister said that the CBI was awaiting sanction for prosecution against 16 All India Services (IAS, IPS and IFS) officers in 10 cases. Of these, the highest of three cases is related to Andhra Pradesh, two in Union Territory (AGMU) and one each case in Assam, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Maharashtra and West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy