13th again: Terror alert across the country
New Delhi: A high alert has been sounded across major cities in the country on Tuesday in view of the heightened threat perception of a terror attack.
In an email sent to television channels on September 8, Indian Mujahideen, that was held responsible for the 2008 blast, claimed responsibility for the blast on September 7 and warned of a similar attack on "a shopping complex" on September 13, Tuesday.
Moreover, today is the third anniversary of the 2008 serial blasts in Delhi that killed 25 people and injured a 100.
Not willing to take any chances, over 20,000 police personal have been deployed all across Delhi today and 20 companies of central paramilitary forces have been kept on standby.
Extra security personnel have been deployed at sensitive places including, shopping malls, Metro stations, railway stations, airport and markets.
Police in NCR towns such as Noida and Gurgaon that have a high concentration of malls are also on high alert.
In Mumbai too increased vigil is being maintained. Union Home minister P Chidambaram had, yesterday, held discussions with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and home minister RR Patil over the security scenario in the city as well as in the entire state.
Chidambaram and also held a meeting with the Mumbai Police Commissioner and Maharashtra ATS chief over the situation as well as the progress in the probe into the July 13 serial blasts in the city that had left 21 dead and over 100 injured.
Meanwhile, as per a media report, the Intelligence Bureau has issued a warning of a possible terror strike at the Chatrapti Shivaji International Airport.
Gujarat Police is on tenterhooks over the possibility of a terror strike. The threat level is very high this time around in view of intelligence reports that three terrorists have sneaked into the state and are planning a strike.
As a precautionary measure, all vehicles entering the state are being thoroughly checked, besides deployment of police personal at all sensitive locations.
Increased vigil is also being maintained at other cities like Kolkata, Patna, Hyderabad, Banglore, Chennai, and Kochi among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued