14 parties respond on opinion polls, EC for more consultations
New Delhi: Only 14 of the 60-odd recognised political parties in the country have responded to Election Commission`s proposal to ban opinion polls and it will take a decision on the issue after further consultations.
While all the national recognised political parties, barring CPI, have sent their views and suggestions on the issue, only nine regional parties have sent their comments to the Commission.
"We have not got a response from all political parties on opinion polls. We will take a call on the issue only after holding more consultations with parties," Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath told reporters here on Friday.
The Commission had written to all recognised national and state parties to send their views on he proposed ban on opinion polls after the government asked it to hold fresh consultations on the issue.
A number of political parties have responded positively to the EC proposal, with Congress leading the bandwagon in seeking a ban or regulation on opinion polls during the election process.
BJP is the only party which is vehemently opposing the ban saying it would go against the fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression.
It has also alleged that the ruling party was favouring prohibition of opinion polls as it feared defeat. The Election Commission proposal has already triggered a major debate on the way opinion polls are conducted as BJP is widely projected by pre-poll surveys to do well in the forthcoming assembly polls and Lok Sabha elections and is thus exploiting it to its advantage.
It has attacked the Congress for its demand saying, a "loser" cannot seek to alter the rules of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail