14 parties respond on opinion polls, EC for more consultations
New Delhi: Only 14 of the 60-odd recognised political parties in the country have responded to Election Commission`s proposal to ban opinion polls and it will take a decision on the issue after further consultations.
While all the national recognised political parties, barring CPI, have sent their views and suggestions on the issue, only nine regional parties have sent their comments to the Commission.
"We have not got a response from all political parties on opinion polls. We will take a call on the issue only after holding more consultations with parties," Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath told reporters here on Friday.
The Commission had written to all recognised national and state parties to send their views on he proposed ban on opinion polls after the government asked it to hold fresh consultations on the issue.
A number of political parties have responded positively to the EC proposal, with Congress leading the bandwagon in seeking a ban or regulation on opinion polls during the election process.
BJP is the only party which is vehemently opposing the ban saying it would go against the fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression.
It has also alleged that the ruling party was favouring prohibition of opinion polls as it feared defeat. The Election Commission proposal has already triggered a major debate on the way opinion polls are conducted as BJP is widely projected by pre-poll surveys to do well in the forthcoming assembly polls and Lok Sabha elections and is thus exploiting it to its advantage.
It has attacked the Congress for its demand saying, a "loser" cannot seek to alter the rules of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city