140 Rajya Sabha MPs have no pecuniary interests
New Delhi: 140 Rajya Sabha members have
declared that they do not have any pecuniary interests as
directors of companies, controlling shares, regular salaries,
paid consultancies and professional engagements despite some
of them having declared assets worth crores in their election
Voluntary groups, Association of Democratic Reforms and
National Election Watch, which received this information under
the Right to Information Act, on Thursday made public the Register
of Interests of Rajya Sabha Members where, under rules, they
declare their interests in various companies, businesses and
The form mandatory to be filled within 90 days of taking
oath requires a Rajya Sabha member to declare their interests
under five heads -- remunerative directorship, shareholding of
controlling nature, regular remunerated activity, paid
consultancy and professional engagement.
The group said as per information received by them, out
of 232 MPs whose details have been furnished by Rajya Sabha,
140 have declared they do not have any pecuniary interests in
the heads given in the declaration form.
"However, in their declaration forms given to Election
Commission, some of these 140 MPs have declared assets worth
crores. According to Election Commission data about 58 per
cent of RS members are `crorepati`. It is interesting to see
that they have assets yet no regular pecuniary interests,"
Anil Bairwal, National Coordinator, National Election Watch
and Association for Democratic Reforms said.
The top three MPs who have said they do not have any
pecuniary interests, yet have high assets, includes T
Subbarami Reddy of Congress having total declared assets worth
Rs 259.25 crore, Congress` Karan Singh with assets of Rs 57.89
crore and Shiv Sena`s Rajkumar Dhoot having assets of Rs 29.53
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened