1,483 officers face corruption charges: Chavan
New Delhi: A total of 1,483 central and state government officers were charged with corruption from 2008 till now, with those from the finance ministry heading the list, parliament was told Wednesday.
A total of 586 officers were charged under the Prevention of Corruption Act in 2008, 645 in 2009 and 252 till June this year, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office Prithviraj Chavan said in the Lok Sabha.
The minister was answering Bhoopendra Singh who wanted details of chargesheets filed against government officials before the courts after seeking sanction under the 1988 legislation.
Details of chargesheet for the three years saw departments in the finance ministry head the table.
In 2008, charges were filed against 89 officers of the Customs and Central Excise in the finance ministry followed by Government of National Capital (NCT) Region (66) and ministry of railways (53).
Officials from the finance ministry`s banking, income tax, insurance and revenue and others accounted for 76 more chargesheet.
In 2009, 138 officers from the banking division of the finance ministry were charged under the Prevention of Corruption Act, followed by ministry of railways (60) and Customs and Central Excuse (44).
The ministry of communications also accounted for 44 cases, followed by income tax (35), Govt of NCT (32), revenue (29) and insurance (28).
The figures for banking department in the finance ministry again topscored in 2010 with 59 chargesheets followed by ministry of railways (27) as well as ministry of communications and customs and central excise at 15 each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security