15 people honoured with Pravasi Bhartiya Samman
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Sunday conferred `Pravasi Bhartiya Samman` awards to 15 eminent overseas Indians, including Governor General of New Zealand Sir Anand Satyanand, for their pioneering role in enhancing India`s image globally.
Patil gave away the awards here at the valedictory session of the ninth Pravasi Bhartiya Divas -- India`s annual event to connect with its diaspora that begun here on Friday.
Satyanand, 66, is New Zealand`s first Governor-General of Indian and Pacific ancestry. He had a long career as a lawyer, judge and ombudsman before taking up the job in August 2006.
Patil while complimenting Satyanand`s contribution said the country was proud of his achievements. Satyanand has been honoured for his outstanding contributions in public life.
In October last year, a New Zealand radio presenter has stirred controversy by calling Satyanand a "large, fat man". Later, the presenter had to quit.
The other Pravasi Bharatiya Samman awardees included Veena Harbhagwan Sahajwalla from Australia, Lata Pada from Canada, USAID administrator Rajiv Shah, British Minister Sandip Verma, leading Sri Lankan Industrialist Mano Selvanathan, Netherlands-based philanthropist Saleh Wahid and former foreign service officer of Malaysia Dato Ajit Singh.
The final day of the three-day event also marked 96th anniversary of homecoming of Mahatma Gandhi. The father of the nation had come back to India from South Africa on January 9, 1915.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next