15 people honoured with Pravasi Bhartiya Samman
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Sunday conferred `Pravasi Bhartiya Samman` awards to 15 eminent overseas Indians, including Governor General of New Zealand Sir Anand Satyanand, for their pioneering role in enhancing India`s image globally.
Patil gave away the awards here at the valedictory session of the ninth Pravasi Bhartiya Divas -- India`s annual event to connect with its diaspora that begun here on Friday.
Satyanand, 66, is New Zealand`s first Governor-General of Indian and Pacific ancestry. He had a long career as a lawyer, judge and ombudsman before taking up the job in August 2006.
Patil while complimenting Satyanand`s contribution said the country was proud of his achievements. Satyanand has been honoured for his outstanding contributions in public life.
In October last year, a New Zealand radio presenter has stirred controversy by calling Satyanand a "large, fat man". Later, the presenter had to quit.
The other Pravasi Bharatiya Samman awardees included Veena Harbhagwan Sahajwalla from Australia, Lata Pada from Canada, USAID administrator Rajiv Shah, British Minister Sandip Verma, leading Sri Lankan Industrialist Mano Selvanathan, Netherlands-based philanthropist Saleh Wahid and former foreign service officer of Malaysia Dato Ajit Singh.
The final day of the three-day event also marked 96th anniversary of homecoming of Mahatma Gandhi. The father of the nation had come back to India from South Africa on January 9, 1915.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’