15th Lok Sabha: PM addresses Parliament last time, Sushma lauds Sonia
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in his last address on the last session of 15th Lok Sabha on Friday said that on certain crucial matters the Lower House has the capacity to rise above partisan politics and find pathways of national reconciliation.
Speaking on the passage of the Telengana Bill, which was approved by Parliament after chaos and heated debates, Singh said that India capable of taking most difficult decisions. “The manner in which Telangana was born is an indication that this country is capable of taking difficult decisions,” the Prime Minister said in Lok Sabha.
Continuing on difficult decision taking in the 15th Lok Sabha, Singh in his address said that the passage of the Food Security Bill is another such example.
The Telangana Bill, which was passed by the Rajya Sabha yesterday to carve out India`s 29th state from Andhra Pradesh, Singh said “We can take pride that this Telangana state, whose quest for being born for the last so many years has seen the light of day.”
The PM said that the Telangana Bill and the Food Security Bill were two landmark bills that were passed in the 15th Lok Sabha.
Speaking on the occasion, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said the 15th Lok Sabha may have witnessed many disruptions but it passed some of the landmark bills.
"When history will be written, it will be recorded... that the 15th Lok Sabha saw the highest number of obstructions, but on other side it passed some of the most awaited bills," she said.
"The nation awaited for Lokpal (bill) for 40 years, I feel proud that this Lok Sabha passed the Lokpal bill. People were waiting for Telangana bill for years..." she said naming some of the bills.
"My brother (parliament Affairs Minister) Kamal Nath sometimes stirred trouble with his mischief, (Home Minister Sushilkumar) Shinde ji used to resolve it with his decency. Between this mischief and decency was Sonia Gandhi`s intervention, the mild-mannered prime minister, the speaker`s patience and L.K. Advani`s sense of justice, these are what kept the house ticking," the leader of opposition added.
Shinde used the chance to compliment Sushma Swaraj, who accepted it with a smile.
"Sushmaji sometimes gets so angry that I get worried that she will stop talking to me. But the moment she leaves the house, the sweetness in her words can`t be matched even by mithais. I thank her for her support on Telangana," he said.
Speaker Meira Kumar also addressed the lower house for the last time as the speaker and thanked the members fro electing her as the first woman speaker.
"The language in the Parliament was male oriented but the 15th Lok Sabha decided to use a gender neutral language," she said.
She also recounted the work done by the 15th Lok Sabha, naming important bills including the bill on manual scavenging, the bill on sexual harassment of women at workplace, amendments in criminal law to make punishment on rape more stringent, the right to education bill, land acquisition bill, Lokpal bill and bill on Telangana among others.
"We succeeded in finding solutions, sometimes failed," she said.
The speaker then adjourned the house sine die.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in