16 economic legislations in coming Parl session
New Delhi: Government will seek passage of
several key economic legislations in the winter session of
Parliament, pushing its reforms agenda and allaying concerns
of policy paralysis among a section of the industry.
The long-pending Pension Fund Regulatory and Development
Authority (PFRDA) Bill, which will pave way for 26 per cent
foreign investment and encourage private sector participation
in pension sector, is among 16 economic bills which will come
up in the month-long session beginning November 22.
Since the government has not received reports of the
Parliamentary Standing Committee on the Direct Taxes Code Bill
and the Goods and Services Tax Bill, they are not likely to be
taken up in the coming session.
Besides, the Bill, which seeks to raise foreign direct
investment in insurance sector from 26 per cent to 49 per
cent, is also pending with the Committee headed by senior BJP
leader and former Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha.
These bills are considered important for the next
generation reforms and the government has been making requests
to the Parliamentary panel to expeditiously complete the work.
The DTC Bill which will overhaul the five-decade old
Income Tax Act, was introduced in August 2010 and the
Constitution Amendment Bill for GST in the Budget session.
The government needs to take the Opposition parties on
board, particularly for the GST since it would require
two-thirds majority in both the Houses of Parliament and
ratification by at least half of the state assemblies.
In recent past, a section of India Inc has blamed for the
government for inaction on policy front, especially at a time
when efforts were needed to fight slow down and combat the
impact of the global crisis on domestic economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming