16 Sri Lankan fishermen detained by Coast Guard
Chennai: Indian Coast Guard on Friday apprehended 16 Sri Lankan fishermen who were illegally fishing in three boats in Indian waters off Karaikal in Puducherry.
"ICG ship `Sagar` on a routine patrol off Karikal this morning sighted three Sri Lankan boats with 16 crew, who were poaching in Indian waters. These boats with the fishermen are being brought to Chennai for handing over to the police", an ICG release here said.
The ICG has launched extensive aerial search operations to ensure the poachers if any are detected and apprehended. ICG ships and aircraft were kept ready for operations at short notice for apprehension of poachers, if detected in aerial search, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali