16 Sri Lankan fishermen detained by Coast Guard
Chennai: Indian Coast Guard on Friday apprehended 16 Sri Lankan fishermen who were illegally fishing in three boats in Indian waters off Karaikal in Puducherry.
"ICG ship `Sagar` on a routine patrol off Karikal this morning sighted three Sri Lankan boats with 16 crew, who were poaching in Indian waters. These boats with the fishermen are being brought to Chennai for handing over to the police", an ICG release here said.
The ICG has launched extensive aerial search operations to ensure the poachers if any are detected and apprehended. ICG ships and aircraft were kept ready for operations at short notice for apprehension of poachers, if detected in aerial search, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman