16 Sri Lankan fishermen detained by Coast Guard
Chennai: Indian Coast Guard on Friday apprehended 16 Sri Lankan fishermen who were illegally fishing in three boats in Indian waters off Karaikal in Puducherry.
"ICG ship `Sagar` on a routine patrol off Karikal this morning sighted three Sri Lankan boats with 16 crew, who were poaching in Indian waters. These boats with the fishermen are being brought to Chennai for handing over to the police", an ICG release here said.
The ICG has launched extensive aerial search operations to ensure the poachers if any are detected and apprehended. ICG ships and aircraft were kept ready for operations at short notice for apprehension of poachers, if detected in aerial search, the release added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram