1.65 lakh register for Anna’s Jail Bharo Andolan
New Delhi: A surprisingly low turn-out marked the first day of Anna Hazare`s ongoing fast against the government`s Lokpal bill, which he described as "betrayal" of the people.
Reports, Wednesday, claimed that the massive crowd that was seen during Anna’s previous agitation in the national capital is also missing in the country’s economic capital, triggering concerns for the managers of his Lokpal agitation.
As 74-year-old Hazare sat on the fast at the MMRDA ground yesterday, the estimate of people at the venue varied between 4,000 to 10,000 in sharp contrast to up to 30,000-40,000 that poured in Ramlila Maidan in August.
Team Anna had earlier admitted that they expected over a lakh people to turn up at the protest venue here. In Delhi too, a negligible number of protesters were seen at the Ramlila Maidan.
Moreover, the website www.jailchalo.com, launched by India Against Corruption (IAC) last week inviting people to registering themselves for Anna’s Jail Bharo Andolan, has also registered a miniscule presence.
So far nearly 1 lakh and sixty five thousand people have registered for the campaign, however, Team Anna expects more to join in.
Team Anna will hold ‘jail bharo aandolan’ if Parliament fails to pass a strong and effective Lokpal Bill from December 30 till January 1.
To participate in Anna’s Mumbai fast, one can visit www.jailchalo.com and register for jail chalo abhiyan.
With IANS Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery