1.65 lakh register for Anna’s Jail Bharo Andolan
New Delhi: A surprisingly low turn-out marked the first day of Anna Hazare`s ongoing fast against the government`s Lokpal bill, which he described as "betrayal" of the people.
Reports, Wednesday, claimed that the massive crowd that was seen during Anna’s previous agitation in the national capital is also missing in the country’s economic capital, triggering concerns for the managers of his Lokpal agitation.
As 74-year-old Hazare sat on the fast at the MMRDA ground yesterday, the estimate of people at the venue varied between 4,000 to 10,000 in sharp contrast to up to 30,000-40,000 that poured in Ramlila Maidan in August.
Team Anna had earlier admitted that they expected over a lakh people to turn up at the protest venue here. In Delhi too, a negligible number of protesters were seen at the Ramlila Maidan.
Moreover, the website www.jailchalo.com, launched by India Against Corruption (IAC) last week inviting people to registering themselves for Anna’s Jail Bharo Andolan, has also registered a miniscule presence.
So far nearly 1 lakh and sixty five thousand people have registered for the campaign, however, Team Anna expects more to join in.
Team Anna will hold ‘jail bharo aandolan’ if Parliament fails to pass a strong and effective Lokpal Bill from December 30 till January 1.
To participate in Anna’s Mumbai fast, one can visit www.jailchalo.com and register for jail chalo abhiyan.
With IANS Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video