169 children detected HIV positive in 8 months
Bhubaneswar: As many as 169 children
below the age of 14 have been detected as HIV positive in a
span of eight months in Orissa, state Health and Family
Welfare Minister Prasanna Acharya said.
"Six of the 169 children died within a period of eight
months from July 2010 to February 2011," the minister said
replying to a question in the assembly.
Ganjam district tops the list with 70 children (41
male and 29 female) being identified as HIV/AIDS afflicted
followed by 15 in Balasore. The others were from Sambalpur,
Koraput and Cuttack during this time, he said.
Of the total 169 children, 83 were females, he
"Of the six deaths, four were male children," the
minister said adding that while four children from Ganjam
died, one death each was reported from Kendrapara and Khurda
The minister said the 169 child HIV cases came from 20
districts but there was no such report from 10 other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'