169 children detected HIV positive in 8 months
Bhubaneswar: As many as 169 children
below the age of 14 have been detected as HIV positive in a
span of eight months in Orissa, state Health and Family
Welfare Minister Prasanna Acharya said.
"Six of the 169 children died within a period of eight
months from July 2010 to February 2011," the minister said
replying to a question in the assembly.
Ganjam district tops the list with 70 children (41
male and 29 female) being identified as HIV/AIDS afflicted
followed by 15 in Balasore. The others were from Sambalpur,
Koraput and Cuttack during this time, he said.
Of the total 169 children, 83 were females, he
"Of the six deaths, four were male children," the
minister said adding that while four children from Ganjam
died, one death each was reported from Kendrapara and Khurda
The minister said the 169 child HIV cases came from 20
districts but there was no such report from 10 other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy