1,777 IAS, 1,255 IPS posts vacant: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 1,777 posts of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and 1,255 posts of Indian Police Service (IPS) officers were vacant in the country, the government said Thursday.
Of the total authorised strength of 6,154 for IAS, 4,377 officers are in position and as against the strength of 4,730 for IPS, 3,475 are occupied, Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V Narayanasamy said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
378 posts in Indian Forest Service (IFoS) are also vacant. The total authorised strength of IFoS is 3,078.
"The government has increased annual intake of IAS and IPS officers under direct recruitment quota. Further, a third mode of recruitment, namely the limited competitive examination has been introduced for recruitment into IPS.
"In promotion quota prompt actions have been taken for holding of Selection Committee Meetings for appointment by promotion or selection of state service officers to IAS, IPS, IFoS," the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka