1.78 cr bogus ration cards cancelled in last 4 yrs
New Delhi: As many as 1.78 crore bogus
ration cards were cancelled in last four years across the
country to ensure supply of subsidised foodgrains to the
genuine beneficiaries, a government official has said.
"Twenty five states and union territories have reported
deletion of 1.78 crore bogus or ineligible ration cards by
September this year," the official said.
West Bengal topped the list of bogus cardholders at 60
lakh, followed by Maharashtra at 30 lakh, Madhya Pradesh at 25
lakh and Andhra Pradesh at 10.46 lakh, he said.
Among union territories, Delhi had maximum number of
bogus cards at 16.32 lakh, the official added.
The government has taken steps to eliminate duplicate
cards as part of the measure to streamline the functioning of
Targeted Public Distribution Systems (TPDS) from July 2006, he
The official, however, declined to give the details of
financial losses suffered by the government due to the issue
of foodgrains to these ineligible card holders.
According to official data, there are 6.52 crore people
under Below Poverty Line (BPL) and Antodaya Anna Yojana (AAY).
The government supplies 35 kg of subsidised rice and
wheat to BPL and AAY families every month.
The BPL cardholders get wheat at Rs 4.15 per kg and rice
at Rs 5.65 per kg, while AAY card holders are eligible for
wheat at Rs 2 per kg and rice at Rs 3 per kg.
Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar had recently
said in Parliament that his ministry is aware of the problem
of bogus ration cards.
The Centre allocates foodgrains to the state governments
for supply through ration shops.
The responsibility to identify the beneficiary and
supervise the functioning of ration shops is fixed with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS