180 Indians released from Pak jail
Karachi: Pakistan on Saturday released 180 Indian
nationals including 179 fishermen, imprisoned for violating
territorial waters, as part of measures to normalise relations
The released Indian nationals were later put on four
buses which will take them to Wagah border near Lahore for
their handing over to the Indian authorities on Sunday.
Police is accompanying the four buses for security
"The authorities today have released 180 prisoners which
is a very positive development and a vindication of our
efforts to improve relations between the two countries,"
Justice retired Aslam Nasir Zahid who heads a non-governmental
organisation told reporters.
The organisation is working with an Indian NGO to provide
justice and relief to prisoners mostly poor fishermen jailed
in Pakistani and Indian jails.
Zahid said the Indian prisoners that included one
civilian, Sama Yousuf were released by the government as a
goodwill gesture for the start of the New Year.
Yousuf was arrested by Pakistani authorities after
straying into Pakistan after crossing the border. He said they
were still 276 Indian fishermen in jails in Karachi while in
recent times the authorities had seized around 320 boats as
Marine authorities frequently arrest and seize Indian
fishermen and their boats when they wander into Pakistani
Zahid said his organisation was also making efforts to
locate missing Pakistani fishermen and get around 42 fishermen
in Indian jails.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks