1840 MW nuke power generated after Indo-US nuclear deal
New Delhi: The Indo-US nuclear deal has led to generation of 1840 MW nuclear power from imported fuel for the country`s reactors, the government today said.
"Currently, of the 4680 MW capacity in commercial operation, 1840 MW is generated by using imported fuel. With availability of imported fuel, the fuel demand-supply gap is also reduced, thus making it possible to start commercial operation of three reactors namely Rajasthan Atomic Power Stations units 5 and 6 (2 x 220 MW) and Kaiga unit 4 (220 MW) in Karnataka, which led to additional nuclear power generation in the country," said Jitendra Singh, Minister of State for Department of Atomic Energy.
In a written reply to a question by BJP MP Chintaman Vanga, he said prior to the fruition of international cooperation, only capacity of 320 MW from Tarapur Atomic Power Stations units 1 and 2 was fuelled by imported fuel.
The conclusion of international agreements in 2008 has enabled import of fuel for additional nuclear power reactors placed under IAEA agreements.
Domestic production of uranium is insufficient for the existing reactors, which is why India has to import fuel. Singh said India has entered into agreements/MOUs in atomic energy sector with USA, France,Russia, Mongolia, Namibia, Argentina, UK, Canada, South Korea, Kazakhstan and Czech Republic.
"Negotiations with Australia, Japan and Sri Lanka are in process," the Minister said. The government response comes admist growing criticism that India has not been taking advantage of the Indo-US Nuclear Deal signed between the two countries in 2008, a landmark agreement that helped seek waiver from the Nuclear Supplier Group (NSG) to engage in nuclear trade and import much required fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'