1984 riots case: CBI`s final arguments on March 14
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday fixed March 14 for hearing final arguments of CBI in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and five others are facing trial.
District Judge JR Aryan could not hear the arguments of senior advocate R S Cheema, appearing for CBI, as the lawyers at the Karkardooma Court complex were observing a day long strike.
CBI had commenced final arguments in the case on March 31, last year and the counsel for the accused had concluded their final arguments on February 4.
The case against Sajjan Kumar was registered in 2005 on a recommendation by Justice GT Nanavati Commission. CBI had filed two charge sheets against him and the other accused in January 2010.
The Delhi High Court in February 2010 had ordered quick disposal of all pending 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases, including that of Congress leaders Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler, and had said that they should be concluded within six months in the lower courts.
Vinod Kumar Bhardwaj, Shahdara Bar Association Secretary, said that the advocates were abstaining from judicial work for one day due to vehicles parking issue with the District Judge (East) PS Teji.
Sajjan Kumar is facing trial along with five others - Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area.
The case relates to anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi