1984 riots: Charges framed against Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: A Delhi court Wednesday framed
charges of murder and rioting against senior Congress leader
Sajjan Kumar and others in connection with a 1984 anti-Sikh
riots case in which six persons were killed in Sultanpuri
Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta, after finding
prima facie evidence against the Congress leader and others,
decided to record statements of witnesses from August 23.
The court had on July one had ordered framing of
charges in the case.
The framing of charges paves the way for initiation of trial in a criminal case.
Besides murder and rioting, the court also framed
charges against Kumar, Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh
and Ved Prakash for the offence of spreading enmity between
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others
on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the
recommendation of Justice G T Nanavati Commission which
inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.
The present case relates to killing of six persons in
Sultanpuri in north-west Delhi in the aftermath of the
assassination of the then prime Minister Indira Gandhi on
October 31, 1984.
The court has already started recording of statements of
the witnesses in an another case involving Kumar and his
nephew Balwant Khokkar, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal.
Meanwhile, the court recorded the statement of a witness,
Lal Chand Khemani, who was said to have bought a house owned
by the victim, Jagdish Kaur, in a locality here in 1993.
The witness was declared hostile by the prosecution
following which he was cross-examined by the CBI.
Jagdish Kaur, a key witness in the Delhi cantonment case,
could not appear before the court because of her illness.
She had lost five family members, including her husband,
in the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"