1984 riots: Court reserves order on framing of charges against Sajjan
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday reserved its
order till July 1 on framing of charges against Congress
leader Sajjan Kumar and others in connection with the killings
of six persons during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
After hearing the arguments from the CBI and the accused,
Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta said the court will
pronounce its order on July 1.
The arguments in the case were wrapped up with the CBI
seeking prosecution of former outer Delhi MP and four others
for the murder, rioting and other offences under the IPC and
the defence counsel requesting discharge of the accused
claiming insufficient evidence.
During over two-hour arguments, CBI counsel D P Singh
referred to statements of different witnesses including
Bhagwani Bai and Chand Kaur to claim that they had stood by
their affidavits submitted before Jain Banerjee Committee,
specifying the role of the accused in the riots.
He tried to rebut the plea of the counsel for the accused
that the cases in which the CBI was seeking their prosecution
had already been decided, saying that the murder charges had
earlier never been pressed against them.
Singh`s contention was opposed by Kumar`s counsel I U Khan
and A K Sharma who submitted that a total of 60 people were
killed in Sultanpuri during the riots that followed the
assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October
31, 1984, but the CBI had named the leader only with regard to
In his submission, CBI`s Special Prosecutor Y K Saxena
said that the accused could not refer to the alleged
contradictions in the statement of witnesses at the stage of
framing of charges as the option was available to them during
the trial only.
Senior counsel H S Phoolka, arguing on behalf of the
victims, claimed that Kumar had never been earlier tried for
the criminal conspiracy with regard to killings in the riots
as the Delhi police had filed closure report in different
CBI is seeking prosecution of Kumar, former outer Delhi
MP, and Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash
for the murder of six persons at Sultanpuri area in north-west
Delhi in the riots that took place in the aftermath of the
assassination of the then prime minister.
If the court finds prima facie evidence against the
accused, it would order framing of charges on July 1 thereby
initiating the trial in the case and if it finds the evidence
insufficient, it can discharge the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested