1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan’s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought the CBI`s response on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar`s plea against a trial court order dismissing his claim that the probe agency ignored documents given by a witness in an anti-Sikh riots case.
Justice SP Garg, while seeking reply from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), said: "You file a short reply to the petition."
The court would next hear the case on July 3.
There was no urgency to rush to the High Court during the vacation as the trial judge had fixed the matter for hearing on July 13, said the court.
The court was hearing the case against Sajjan Kumar and five others accused of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
The trial court had on June 2 dismissed the plea of Sajjan Kumar who said that the affidavits and statements of the complainant and key witness Jagdish Kaur, given earlier to the judicial commissions that probed the riots, should be allowed to be used to confront her with her recent testimony in the ongoing trial.
The Congress leader said that CBI prosecutor RS Cheema made a statement in the court on July 12, 2010 that affidavits of witness (Kaur) in the case and statement to GT Nanavati and Ranganath Misra Commissions, which inquired into the riots, could not be used as they were contradictory.
The CBI said as per the provisions of the Commission of Inquiry Act, the affidavits and statements of a witness given before any commission could not be used against her for the purpose of questioning her testimony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy