1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan’s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought the CBI`s response on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar`s plea against a trial court order dismissing his claim that the probe agency ignored documents given by a witness in an anti-Sikh riots case.
Justice SP Garg, while seeking reply from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), said: "You file a short reply to the petition."
The court would next hear the case on July 3.
There was no urgency to rush to the High Court during the vacation as the trial judge had fixed the matter for hearing on July 13, said the court.
The court was hearing the case against Sajjan Kumar and five others accused of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
The trial court had on June 2 dismissed the plea of Sajjan Kumar who said that the affidavits and statements of the complainant and key witness Jagdish Kaur, given earlier to the judicial commissions that probed the riots, should be allowed to be used to confront her with her recent testimony in the ongoing trial.
The Congress leader said that CBI prosecutor RS Cheema made a statement in the court on July 12, 2010 that affidavits of witness (Kaur) in the case and statement to GT Nanavati and Ranganath Misra Commissions, which inquired into the riots, could not be used as they were contradictory.
The CBI said as per the provisions of the Commission of Inquiry Act, the affidavits and statements of a witness given before any commission could not be used against her for the purpose of questioning her testimony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi