1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan’s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought the CBI`s response on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar`s plea against a trial court order dismissing his claim that the probe agency ignored documents given by a witness in an anti-Sikh riots case.
Justice SP Garg, while seeking reply from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), said: "You file a short reply to the petition."
The court would next hear the case on July 3.
There was no urgency to rush to the High Court during the vacation as the trial judge had fixed the matter for hearing on July 13, said the court.
The court was hearing the case against Sajjan Kumar and five others accused of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
The trial court had on June 2 dismissed the plea of Sajjan Kumar who said that the affidavits and statements of the complainant and key witness Jagdish Kaur, given earlier to the judicial commissions that probed the riots, should be allowed to be used to confront her with her recent testimony in the ongoing trial.
The Congress leader said that CBI prosecutor RS Cheema made a statement in the court on July 12, 2010 that affidavits of witness (Kaur) in the case and statement to GT Nanavati and Ranganath Misra Commissions, which inquired into the riots, could not be used as they were contradictory.
The CBI said as per the provisions of the Commission of Inquiry Act, the affidavits and statements of a witness given before any commission could not be used against her for the purpose of questioning her testimony.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks