1984 riots: Court`s no to CBI for more time for arguments

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 17:58

New Delhi: A Delhi court today refused to
give further time to CBI to advance arguments on its closure
report giving a clean chit to former Union Minister Jagdish
Tytler in view of a recent directive of the High Court to wind
up trial in all 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases within six months.

"The court does not have much time. It is a
straight-jacket situation," Additional Chief Metropolitan
Magistrate Rakesh Pandit said.


The court`s remarks were made when one of the 1984
anti-Sikh riots victim`s counsel as well as CBI prosecutor
referred to the order of the High Court on February eight
directing for conclusion of trials in all pending cases within
six months.


CBI prosecutor Sanjay Kumar, who submitted that the probe
agency had still not completed even one fourth of the
arguments, had to wrap up its submissions after the court said
that there was no point reiterating contentions already
mentioned in the closure report filed on April two last year.

Brinda Grover, counsel for Lakhwinder Kaur whose husband
was killed in the riots, interjected during the proceedings to
state that the order of the High Court to conclude trial in
all riots cases was applicable in this case as well.


CBI counsel, in view of the court`s observation, agreed
to conclude the arguments by terming statements of Surinder
Singh and Jasbir Singh, two witnesses, as "false and
concocted".


The court, meanwhile, allowed Grover to file a protest
petition in the matter and posted the matter for February 23.


PTI



First Published: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 17:58

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus