1984 riots: Man gets life for murdering four
New Delhi: A man was sentenced on Monday to life
imprisonment for burning alive four persons in Trilokpuri area
of East Delhi during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots which had broken
out here following the assassination of the then Prime
Minister Indira Gandhi.
Additional Sessions Judge P S Teji also imposed a fine of
Rs 30,000 on convict Mahesh saying the prosecution has
established that he was present in the mob which had set the
house on fire resulting in four deaths on November 3, 1984.
"The prosecution has successfully established on record
beyond reasonable doubt that the accused was a member of
the unlawful assembly at the time of commission of the offence
and entered into the house.
"Prosecution has also successfully established that after
entering into the house, being a member of the unlawful
assembly, accused Mahesh committed the murder of the four
persons," the court said.
Mahesh was in the mob which had entered complainant Vidya
Kaur`s house in block number-13 at Trilokpuri on November 3,
1984, and burnt alive her husband Jaswant Singh, his nephew
Anokha Singh, his friend Satnam Singh and a neighbour Bhajan
The court relied on testimonies of Vidya, her two sons
Surjeet Singh and Kuldeep Singh who had also witnessed the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview