1984 riots: SC stays proceedings against Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today stayed the trial court proceedings against senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan directed the lower court not to proceed with the case till July 27 when the Delhi High Court is likely to take up Kumar`s plea for allowing him to cross examine the witnesses whose statements before various commissions are being used by the CBI against him.
The court passed the order on former MP Kumar`s appeal challenging the high court`s order which had refused to stay the trial against him.
The CBI vehemently opposed Kumar`s appeal and alleged that it was a delaying tactics on his part.
The bench, however, was not satisfied with the agency`s plea and stayed the proceedings. The bench also asked the high court to hear Kumar`s petition expeditiously.
The trial court was scheduled to commence hearing from tomorrow the final arguments on the part of accused, starting with Kumar.
Kumar has appealed in the high court against the trial court order which had refused to allow him to use a riot victim`s statements to the various judicial commissions, including G T Nanavati and Ranganath Mishra Commissions, in the past to defend himself.
He said as many of the witnesses have changed their testimonies made before the commissions, he be allowed to cross examine them with regard to those statements.
Kumar`s plea was earlier dismissed by the trial court which had said the witness Jagdish Kaur`s statements to the judicial commissions cannot be used for any purpose, including that for discrediting her testimony or to impeach her.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!