1984 riots: Sikh community demands action against Tytler, Sajjan
New Delhi: The Sikh community has appealed to the Central Government to take strict action against former Congress leaders Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar for their alleged role in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots that killed at least 3,000 innocent people.
After the assassination of former prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984, by two of her Sikh bodyguards, riots erupted on November 1, 1984, and continued in some areas for days, killing some 3,000 Sikhs. Sultanpuri, Mangolpuri, Trilokpuri, and other Trans-Yamuna areas of Delhi were the worst affected.
The Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), which looks after the upkeep of the gurudwaras, said an ultimatum till the end of January has been given to the government.
"This is strange. Home Minister finally under pressure has instructed the Lt Governor to take immediate action on this issue till 31 of this month. We had a conference 10 days back, in which we also gave an ultimatum till January 31 appealing for justice," said SGPC president Avatar Singh Makkar.
"And if the Lt Governor did not take any action regarding this then Akali Dal once again will take to the streets and we with the help of the media will create pressure for immediate action," he added.
About eight cases related to the riots are still being investigated. Around six have resulted in convictions.
But the one most keenly followed involves, former Congress minister Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar accused of inciting violence against Sikhs.
SGPC leaders also sought security for those willing to testify against the Congress leaders.
Tytler was forced to resign as a minister in 2005 after protests sparked by an inquiry said that he might have instigated the riots.
Tytler, implicated by two judicial commissions, has however denied the charge, and later the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told a Delhi court it did not had any evidence against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof