1984 riots: Witness alleges police helped rioters
New Delhi: A witness in the 1984 anti-Sikh
riots on Monday alleged before a court, trying senior Congress
leader Sajjan Kumar and others, that the Delhi police
virtually helped the rioters during the carnage.
"I was watching from the window that police vans came and
on seeing them Sikhs rushed out of hoping they would help.
Thereafter, the police vans went away and then after sometime,
mobs came and burnt those very houses from where Sikhs came
out out," Joginder Singh told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita
Deposing as seventh witness, Singh identified Kumar`s
co-accused ex-MLA Mahender Yadav, ex-councillor and Kumar`s
nephews Balwan Khokar and Kishan Khokar and Captain Bhagmal as
those involved in the riots that had followed the
assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on
October 31, 1984.
The 53-year-old witness, whose father-in-law was also
killed in the riots, said the mob was led by Khokar brothers
He also narrated how the houses were burnt by mobs and how
Sikhs and wing Commander Punnu, who once chased away the
accused, were killed during the riots.
Singh`s deposition was completed today. He is likely to be
cross examined by the defence counsel on November 19, the next
date of hearing.
Kumar, the former outer Delhi MP, along with others are
facing trial for the killing of five persons at Delhi
Cantonment during the case.
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on
January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the
recommendation of the G T Nanavati Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video