1993 blasts: SC to hear final hearings on January 11
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday decided to hear the appeal proceedings against the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convicts from January 11, 2011.
A bench of Justices P Sathasivam and BS Chauhan also issued notices to the convicts on the CBI`s appeal seeking enhancement of punishment for them.
The bench, however, inquired from Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium as to why there was a delay of 880 days in filing the appeal for enhancement of punishment.
Admitting that there was considerable delay, Subramanium attributed the same to the voluminous 4,300 page judgement of the special TADA court which, he said, the
prosecution had to minutely examine before filing the appeal.
The special TADA court had convicted 100 people in the Mumbai blasts case.
Among the convicts was Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who was sentenced to six years in jail under the Arms Act but was exonerated for terror offences under the stringent TADA
(Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act).
The CBI, which has prosecuted the case for around 14 years involving 123 accused, preferred not to appeal against the special court verdict, acquitting 50-year-old Dutt under
The blasts had killed 257 people and left over 700 injured in the country`s commercial capital.
Among the convicts, 12 were awarded death sentence and 20 got life imprisonment.
Those sent to gallows by TADA judge PD Kode included Yakub Memon, brother of prime absconding accused Tiger Memon, who along with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Mohammed Dossa were alleged to have hatched the conspiracy in Dubai to
target Mumbai after communal riots ravaged the city in January 1993.
Others sentenced to death are -- Shoaib Ghansar, Asghar Mukadam, Shah Nawaz Qureshi, Abdul Ghani Turk, Parvez Shaikh, Mohammad Iqbal Mohammad Yusuf Shaikh, Mohammad Farooq Pawale, Mushtaq Tarani, Zakir Hussain, Abduk Akhtar Khan and
Firoz Amani Malik.
Among the 20 sentenced to life imprisonment included Essa Memon, Yusuf Memon, Rubina Memon, Naseem Barmare, Imtiaz Ghavate, Bashir Khairulla, Moin Qureshi, Dawood Phanse, Abdul Gafoor Parker and Vijay Patil.
After the convictions were challenged, the apex court stayed the execution of death sentences.
The agency has also filed appeals in the case of two women accused. It has sought enhancement of punishment of Zaibunnisa Kazi, convicted under TADA for keeping arms delivered to her by Abu Salem after visiting Dutt, besides challenging the acquittal of Rukshana Zariwala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'