1993 bomb blasts convict acquitted in extortion case
Mumbai: Mansoor Sayeed, convicted in 1993
serial bomb blasts case, has been acquitted in an extortion
Although the maximum punishment prescribed in IPC for
extortion offence is seven years, the trial of Mansoor went on
for 11 years in which he was acquitted recently.
Convicted by a TADA court in the 1993 bomb blasts case
on charges of transporting arms from residence of film star
Sanjay Dutt to the house of accused Zebunisa Kazi, Mansoor
walked out of jail in August 2007 after spending 14 years
behind bars. During the trial, Mansoor got bail in 1995 but
was re-arrested in 1999 in an extortion case.
Vakola police charged him with extorting money from a
businessman and recovered a revolver from him at the time of
his arrest. He was sent to jail again in connection with the
extortion case, his lawyer Subhash Kanse told PTI.
Mansoor, a travel agent, had gone to Dutt`s house with
gangster Abu Salem to collect AK-56 rifles and deliver them to
Kazi. Salem had told Kazi that underworld Don Dawood Ibrahim`s
brother Anees had asked him to keep the arms with her.
Dutt too was convicted in the 1993 bomb blasts case
but he filed an appeal in the Supreme Court which is pending.
Mansoor, who was sentenced to ten years imprisonment,
however, did not appeal against his conviction in the same
case because he had already spent the period in jail.
Mansoor had also tried to get bail in extortion case
but the court had rejected his plea and he had to spend the
time in jail until he was acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe